Fruit hunting

Identify the market you explored, and the reason why you went there?

Hardeep (July 20, 2021, Tuesday)

Basically, this is the only fruit market located near to my home, it is located 6km away from my home though. I usually go there for buying bananas, apples, grapes, and pomegranates. I went to this market because I found that this market contains a variety of fruits so it would be easy for me to do fruit hunting there. 

Explain your choice, why you made it, and how you went about selecting your fruit?

Fortunately, there were two fruits which I never tasted before. These fruits were plum and comics pear. Unfortunately, there was tartness in plum so I didn't use it for my blog. So, I decided to make a blog on comics pear. I was super excited to taste this fruit because my aunt frequently eats this fruit. Actually, she is suffering from diabetes and she told me that the taste of comics pear is delicious, unique, and it contains lots of fiber and other essential antioxidants which help her to control the level of diabetes. That is why I chose pear fruit for my fruit hunting blog.

Hardeep (July 20, 2021, Tuesday)

First time tasting comics pear.

Hardeep (July 20, 2021, Tuesday)

                                                                                 Hardeep (July 20, 2021, Tuesday)


A brief summary of the history, geographical location(s), botanical family, market pricing, and seasonality.

History: The historical backdrop of the pear is followed from ancient times to the current emphasizing its role in popular society and art. The pear has quite some time appreciated in numerous societies and, even though the pear is never as well known as an apple, stays one of the world's most appreciated temperate fruits.

Geographical Location: Pears are widely grown in the temperate regions of the world, with different sizes, shapes, and flavors. it is the fifth produced fruit in globalization. Basically, its origins are China, Europe, and the united states

Botanical family: The pear belongs to the rosaceous family it is similar to the apple.
Market pricing: It is not as expensive fruit as other fruits. The average marketing price of comics pear is only Rs.40 per kg in my town. 

Seasonality: India's pear season endures from late summer to early winter.

Perform a sensory evaluation.

1. Smell: The smell of pear is slightly sweet and dense.

2. Touch: Soft and firm. Squat shape with large bubbles bottom and a short well-defined neck.

3. Taste: Pears taste sweet, fruity, juicy with a few acidic characteristics in them.

4. Sight: It has yellow-green skin with red bush outside the fruit, is clear white, and contains a few seeds in it.

Discuss: if you were to cook this fruit, what cooking method would you use? Support your answer and provide a recipe.

 The method which I would like to use for cooking the pear recipe is the baking method because this method is relevant for pear cooking. As I ate this fruit first time I do not have sufficient information on how to make any recipe from pears. So, I use internet research for this I used the https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229252/apple-and-pear-crumble/ website for my recipe. However, I would use my own recipe for ingredients. I would like to make an apple and pear crumble recipe.  This recipe would take almost 1 hour.

Ingredients: 

4 tablespoons rolled oats

1.5 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 ⅓ tablespoons brown sugar

1.5 tablespoon butter

⅙ cup peeled, diced apple

⅙ cup peeled, diced pear

⅒ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1.5 tablespoon sliced almonds

Directions:

1. preheat oven to 180 degrees c.

2. Mix all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar, and butter in a stainless steel bowl.

3. Then mix apple, pears, brown sugar, and cinnamon in another bowl. Then put oat mixture atop apple-pear mixture and top with sliced almonds.

4. Bake in the oven for almost 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Nutritional facts:

Servings per recipe: 8*

Calories: 380

Protein: 5g

Carbohydrates: 55g

Fat: 16g

Cholesterol: 31 mg

Sodium: 92 mg

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229252/apple-and-pear-crumble/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229252/apple-and-pear-crumble/


Reflect on what you learned from this experience.

I learned many things from this experience. Now, it is easy for me to identify the taste of any fruit which I never tasted before. Also, now I focus on fruit's nutritional facts like what nutritional facts are provided by particular fruit to us. Moreover, I have become a kind of food seeker now I not only taste fruits that I never taste before but also emphasize fruit's history and geographical location. Lastly, this fruit I have not tried earlier and after eating this I can acquire new experience of having pears. Also, this experience inspires me to try out various different fruits which are new to me.

So this is the end of my Fruit hunting blog. If I put anything wrong in this blog please forgive me because I am new in this field 😊.

Thank you so much!
Hardeep Singh
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/assortment-of-colorful-ripe-tropical-fruits-top-view-gm995518546-269463390


References:

Geographical location and botanical family retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pear

History of pears retrieved from https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pearinhistory.pdf

Recipe of apple and pear crumble retrieved from https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229252/apple-and-pear-crumble/ 

Rosaceae picture retrieved from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosaceae






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diets and Dietary Restrictions

Carbohydrates and Added Sugars.

Soya Malai(cream) Chaap